Home

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Craigslist Adventures

We've been on a de-cluttering mission since spring. We usually try and clean out our wardrobes every winter, but this spring, it got pretty bad. 

We've tackled furniture, electronics, books, crafts, kitchenware, appliances... anything that we haven't used within a year (within reason) gets sold. Chris sold almost 6,000 of his baseball, hockey, and other sports cards for a hefty $450. I sold my grandmother's dining set for $100. Things around the house have been getting listed on Craigslist, OfferUp and eBay like mad.

After months of buying and selling on Craigslist, OfferUp, and other sales platforms, I wanted to address some of the things that I loved and hated about them. First the bad:
  • People actually show up maybe 1 out of 2 or 3 times. It's incredibly frustrating, especially when you've taken time out of your day to make a sale or to buy. 
  • When/if people show up, they're usually not on time. It makes me wonder how people survive out there! You agree to a certain time to meet, please honor it. I get it if you're a few minutes late because of traffic or something. I usually give 15-30 minutes, which my husband gripes about. Anything past that, the deal is off and I'm gone.
  • Don't change your mind or waste my time by changing plans or minds mid-stream. This only happened once or twice, but really, get your ducks in a row and get it done. If you don't want it, don't decide after I've been sitting here for 20 minutes. If you can't sell it, please don't offer it up to begin with!
On to the fun things!
  • It is amazing what technology can do. I can be sitting in a parking lot, waiting to meet up, and I can send a text or message describing how to find me in a crowd. It's great!
  • People are usually just as sketched out as you are in most cases, so don't be too scared. Meet in public if you can, and be friendly! 
  • There's an audience for almost everything. People will buy the weirdest crap out there! It's exciting!
OfferUp is a new app I've been playing with after hearing about it from a friend. It's a one-picture selling app, and you can direct message using it instead of playing phone or email games like with Craigslist. You take just one picture and list your item. It has limitations, and there seems to be a lot of crap for sale on there, but there are some gems. I saw a working tiller for $100 the first day I used the app. Kicked myself on not acting faster there. Oh well!

I've tried Close5, but they're a little more upscale and have higher-end prices and more glam photos. I just want to snap pictures of dishware and furniture in my basement without having to worry too much about lighting. When I'm the buyer, I want practical photos of exactly what I'm getting. 

So far, we've sold a lot of stuff. I've moved on to taking junk other people don't want and selling it for them.... successfully. We've been able to afford a new hutch and dining set for the kitchen and breezeway respectively from the sales we've made. And yes, we bought both off of Craigslist.

No comments: