Home

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The Consequence of Cats

We have five cats. It's almost impossible to keep anything nice, which is why we usually own second-hand things as far as furniture is concerned. Our couch set is no exception.

This is an old family couch that my father wanted gone. I love the set, and it actually matched my living room (!!), so we told him we could take it off his hands. The couch set we had before that was my grandmother's, and before that a pair of Goodwill couches. 

The couch set hasn't been worn out completely and is still very comfortable. The only problem was that the cats had a field day with the love seat. It was previously resting under a windowsill, so they scratched the top up pretty bad.

I was feeling pretty ashamed about it, and kept saying "I'll get to sewing it up when I have a minute."

Well, today was that day. Don't judge me, guys. Cats are cruel to furniture, especially with five of them. 

The carnage: 
 Terrible, I know. I could hide it under a blanket for a while when it was underneath the window, but when we re-arranged the living room (again), this side of the couch is pretty much the first thing you see when you walk in the front door. 

After about 20 minutes of sewing with a curved needle and upholstery thread that I had laying around (who knows why), it looks passable. Not really respectable or pretty, but at least the couch guts aren't all over the place.  

 
You can see where I seamed it, but hey. Five cats. What're you going to do? You're going to not have anything nice until they're gone is what. I love them more than a couch, so I guess I'll just have to patch the couch as needed over time.
 

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Wow, you did a great job! I bet it has made a real difference to the look of your room.