Home

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

My canning life just got a little easier

I've been canning food for a few years now. I've had a lot of trials and errors, lots of broken jars and seals. But I'd like to tell you about my recent victory. I don't know how I didn't know about it before, but Presto has a weighted pressure regulator. It didn't come with my Presto 16-quart canner (model 1755), but it really should have.

For years, I'd load up my canner (on my glass-top stove, to hell with the naysayers) and crank it until I hit my 11lbs of pressure. After I cracked the 11lbs mark, I'd have to check the canner every 5 minutes to be sure it's not dropping or exceeding that mark, and adjust only slightly on the heat dial to correct for the fluctuation. It was kind of a pain in the ass.

But, in my endeavors to find a simple solution, I found out that this weight will work with multiple models to regulate the pressure, allowing you to walk away from the canner for the duration of the necessary processing period. Well, walk away meaning that the heat is dialed in at the most consistent place from past experience, which is low, generally speaking.

Canning has never been this easy, I swear. I've done four full loads of both chicken broth and pinto beans in the past 2 days, and it's like the canning isn't taking hours to do because I have to get up and watch the gauge every five minutes! 

If you can, and you use a gauge, try this little do-hickey. It costs just about $12, and it's free shipping with Amazon Prime. It has saved me a lot of stress and time already.

We have a huge garden this year, and I expect to be canning quite a bit, so this will make life a lot easier for sure!

No comments: