Home

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Green Druid Mittens

My husband needs a pair of mittens for walking to work this winter. We're lucky enough that he has maybe a block to walk to work, but it gets chilly for him on the way to work.

I've knit some makeshift gloves, and my mother made him a pair last Christmas too. But neither seemed to be very charming or handsome.

I stumbled upon these mittens and decided they were worth a go at some point. I put them in my Ravelry favorites (I'm told that I use the favorites as others would use the queue...) and forget about them for a while.

Until, of course, I saw a sale on Valley Yarns Charlemont Kettle Dye yarn. Chris saw this yarn in the warehouse at WEBS back during the May tent sale. Both Chris and my mother fell in love, but I couldn't justify the purchase of such fine yarn without a project in mind. Isn't it just beautiful?

Quickly, on the last night of the sale, I dug up these mittens out of Vogue Knitting to justify the yarn purchase. Chris chose his color, and we rolled with it.

And for the past month or so, I've been chipping away at these. I have them at my desk, for those times when I have no work to do. This project is definitely a concentration project. The chart is tiny and intimidating, but once you try it, it's not that bad.

Although, I will admit, I probably will never do such intricate cabling on US2s in the round every again. Aye. I love these mittens though... I may cave in a year or so and knit myself a pair.

What you see to the left is where I am, as of tonight. It takes about 2 hours to move more than an inch. The lighting isn't spectacular for the photo (as usual), but it's very slow-going, but incredibly rewarding. And it's superwash! It won't felt when shoveling snow!

No comments: