Home

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Cock-a-doodle-do!

I think I've endured my broken-hearted-ness for long enough. This past weekend, much to our dismay, we found out Peggy is actually a boy. A rooster. Not what I was anticipating.

Now, hear me out before you go ragging on me for not wanting a rooster!

We live in the city. We live very close to our neighbors. On the north boundary, my neighbor's house is literally no more than 15 feet away. We're friendly, but I'm not sure we're rooster crowing at 6am friendly

It seemed obvious to everyone but us. Just look at this handsome little man! Here I was thinking that maybe the feed store had a different breed mixed in with our Rhode Island Reds. Nope. Nope. Nope. "It's 99% likely that we'll sell you a hen chick" the guy at the feed store says. "Don't even worry about getting a rooster, it won't happen."

Meanwhile, my neighbor and her husband knew Peggy was a he for a long time. The tail feathers pretty much give it away, as well as the very obvious comb coming in, with a matching wattle. 

So now, Chris and I are thinking that maybe we should get rid of him. At first, we reacted brashly and immediately threw up a Craigslist ad. Within 20 minutes, I received a phone call from a gentleman who wanted our chicken. I started to judge his voice, and wondered if he'd be good enough to take care of our handsome rooster.

And then Chris mentioned cockfighting in this city, and how it's a problem. And how hey, the guy probably just wants to feed his family!

My heart dropped. I immediately deleted the ad. I refuse to give Peggy away to anyone but a shelter or another chicken owner who could value a rooster in the flock. And I mean, if we're going to offer up Peggs for dinner, it's going to be me who does the deed and puts him on the table. There's no two ways about it.

Chris seems more attached to him than I am, but the idea of having a rooster is growing on me. Two out of the group of our neighbors have given their blessing. There are so many dogs in the neighborhood, it's hard to consider a rooster a nuisance I guess. Just another animal noise.

Peggs (as I seem to call him now) also offers a degree of security for our ladies. He will protect them, and I've read he'd go as far as sacrificing himself, in the name of their safety. There are a few stray cats around here that I've seen take out birds mid-flight. I think a rooster may be nice to have around for added chicken security. Besides, the ladies really seem to like him. 

Now, if only I knew that I could monitor all of the eggs the ladies will produce. While both of us would like as many as five chickens in the flock, I don't want chicks just walking around willy-nilly here.

For now, Peggs is staying put. His morning crows are what tipped us off, but they're not as loud or obnoxious as I expect they may get. We'll just have to wait and see for now.

No comments: