Home

Thursday, September 26, 2013

A new luxury

I'm not a "buy new" kind of person. Almost all of my clothes, furniture, and linens are used. I don't skimp on some things, but most things, I'll cut corners if I can. This includes buying cars. Until recently.

The old lady
Chris has had his 2004 Nissan Sentra since he drove it off the lot, brand new, in 2004. When I met him in 2006, he had only racked up about 35,000 miles. When we had a new transmission put in this past winter, we were at the 98,000 mile mark.

Ever since we spent $2500 on a new transmission (yikes), we knew we were on a downward spiral to the death of the car. The transmission shop also put a lovely ding in the side of the passenger door, and we didn't notice until we got it home. The car has been getting worse and worse since. We've overhauled the exhaust, had all sorts of menial repairs done on it, and it's been failing its annual inspection almost every year for the past few years.

This past spring, we decided that in September, we'd tackle the car problem, provided there were no other major expenses in view. 

We did a lot of research to find which car(s) we wanted to investigate. Our priority was really a car that was compact and had a great MPG rating. We have my 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee work horse, so we didn't need to worry too much about hauling and storage and snow. 

The new kid on the block
We decided on the Honda Fit. I actually had a crush on the car since I saw it on the streets, but there was no way I was buying a new car. 

We went to the Honda dealership in the next city over, as they came very highly recommended. We wanted to test the cars that were highest on our lists, but the dealership only really seemed to have 2013 models, and nothing used in the models we wanted to try. So we test drove the 2013 Honda Fit and, unfortunately for Chris, the 2013 Honda Civic. 

I've got to say, for the money, the Civic is an astonishingly amazing car. Luxurious, smooth, and has a sense of class that I didn't think that kind of money could get. Chris fell in love with instantly. It has all sorts of bells and whistles, buttons and gadgets. Those kinds of fancy things actually make me really nervous, so it wasn't really a thing for me. 

We didn't have that kind of money, so we settled on the Honda Fit. I say "settle" because Chris is heartbroken that he can't have the Civic, but maybe we'll trade up someday. I absolutely love the Fit, though!

It'd be a hell of a lot more fun to drive if it was a manual, but Chris doesn't do stick. I'd probably be dangerous on the road if we got the manual, since I'd treat this boxy little Mongolian pony like my own rally car. 

2 comments:

Arlyne Nelms said...

In terms of buying cars, it doesn’t have to be always new. There's a lot of car dealerships nowadays that sell well-conditioned used cars. It's much cheaper and drives as good as the new ones, as long as you purchased it from a reputable dealership. Anyway, you have a nice looking car. I am happy for you. Enjoy driving!

Arlyne @ Spartan Toyota Scion

Kayla Dudley said...

“The car has been getting worse and worse since.” – This is one thing we don’t want to discover in our car all of a sudden. But maybe it’s really about time for a change - a new car. I just hope yours will work just the way you want it and stay with you for more than 20 years. It sounds impossible, but regular maintenance is always the key in expanding a car’s life expectancy.

Kayla @ GeorgetownShell.com