Home

Friday, March 1, 2013

oh, hello

The snow from the blizzard in early February
drifted up waist-high at our breezeway door
Hello everyone, it's been a while! Big surprise, right? Honestly, I'd have thought winter would have gotten to me more this year and I would have typed up more about the going-ons in the house.

Luckily, I'm not quite at my winter blues quota! I've been so busy that things have been moving straight towards spring without too much delay.

Quick update on how our vegetarian/vegan thing has been going (since it's really the thing that's been keeping me so occupied): Chris has hit his plateau, we think. He's reached his "ideal" weight according to BMI measurements. He looks fantastic, but I think he'd like to try more yoga to loosen up. He's on his feet all day at his workplace so I suspect some serious stretching could help.

I've almost crested my 50 lb. loss mark. It's kind of hard to believe. After my friend's death in September, it was hard to clear my mind to make any kind of real progress. After New Year's, I came back with a vengeance. I've lost about 15 pounds since New Year's alone, so yeah, feeling pretty good. After the initial 35 lbs lost from switching to a (mostly) vegan diet, it was a much harder fight to get the weight off. I use MyFitnessPal to help me clock everything and to get a better idea of what I'm putting into my body. It's worked wonders for me, and it seems to have a fantastic community.

The tube from the spile carrying maple sap to a
collection bucket
Meanwhile, of course, I've been making and creating. This year, I tried my hand at tapping our large maple tree in the back yard thrice to see if we could make maple syrup. I use maple syrup as a sugar substitute in a lot of circumstances, particularly with tea. It made only a little bit of sense to try it. Really, I was just curious about the whole process, and it was cheap enough to try.

So far, after about 2 weeks of having the taps installed, I've successfully boiled down about 10 gallons of sap (and counting) for maybe a quart of maple syrup thus far. Once I clear the sugaring season, I'll post more about the experience.

The cats are all well, though five is way too many, honestly. So much for having kids in the immediate future. We've got some plans for another major road trip in September 2014, if we can manage to scrounge enough cash away.

I hope as spring comes around and we get the garden going again, I'll find the time to post more here to share with you. There's always something brewing around here...

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Lovely to hear an update from you. I was just thinking last night that you'd been pretty quiet lately. That snow looks pretty impressive (though maybe easier to see in a picture than have to live with?!).

townhouseturnaround said...

Congratulations on all the weight loss! That's such an accomplishment