Home

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Whole Foods Plant Based Success!

Another blog entry that doesn't have too much to do with self-sufficiency! I wanted to follow up yesterday's depressing post with something a little more upbeat and cheerful. Everything in life requires balance, right?

On July 6 of this year, Chris and I switched all our really bad habits over to a whole food plant-based diet. And with great results! I want to talk about what I've experienced thus far in this amazing journey.

When we first set out, I didn't  have very much hope. In fact, I had pretty much given up on weight loss... ever. Just a few months prior, when the weather was colder, my sister's boyfriend asked me why it's so hard for me to get into the frame of mind to lose weight. I told him I had given up hope. Until I saw Forks Over Knives and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. (You can read about that here).

Long story short, Chris and I changed our habits. Thank goodness Chris was on board - I couldn't have done it alone! He's lost more than 30 pounds since July 6th, and he looks great! He doesn't like all his clothes hanging off of him though! Even his beloved L.L. Bean flannels are big and baggy when they were once pretty snug.

I've lost around 30 pounds myself. It seems to be easier for him to get a consistent read on the scale than it is for me. Everyone says it's because I'm female and my weight will fluctuate more than his, but I'm skeptical. Some of the clothes I had stashed away in my closet fit. These clothes were my "hope" clothes. I know it sounds absurd, but I really held on to a lot of clothing that I once fit into in hopes of being able to fit into them again someday. Some of them reach as far back as into my early twenties. This thrills me.

Lately, I've been trying on all of the old clothes and wearing them to see if I'm "there" yet. Most of them are a pleasant surprise, others I still need to lose more weight for.

Wearing a yellow button-up that I
bought years ago but only just fit into!
Let me take a moment to mention how easy this is to do. I never, ever, ever would have characterized weight loss as "easy" in the past. I used to think there was absolutely NO WAY I would ever be able to commit to something like this. But just like when I quit smoking (cigarettes), something just clicked in my brain when I saw the simplicity behind the concept of eating vegetables as raw as you can.

I know a lot of people don't like veggies very much, especially the older generation. My mother asked us if we just ate steamed veggies all the time. While that actually sounds really delicious, it's not what we do!

There are so many vegetarian and vegan recipes out there now that it's very easy to do. It takes a little more time in the kitchen, and a little more love to create great meals, but then who wants meals ready in less than 15 minutes out of a box? (Gross!)

If you're curious about this, watch Forks Over Knives. It's on Netflix streaming. You could probably find it in Google videos. Netflix recommended it to me for well over a year and I ignored it until July. I've watched pretty much every food documentary I can find, but this one was different. Try it! You have nothing but bad habits to lose!

It's not that expensive, especially if you shop at a local place that has cheap produce. You can make so much stuff! If you want any of the recipes on rotation here in our house, let me know and I can share them with you! :)

1 comment:

Nicole said...

First, you look fantastic! Second, I'd love the recipes you use. My kids are somewhat picky at times, but they love veggies. I'd love to make meals where all three of them actually ate AND I would love to start a healthier lifestyle. I feel like with Mark on the road it is hard for me to go to a gym or anything that is done 'outside the home'.
Thank you! And well done!!