Home

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

DIY Subway "Veggie Delite"

With our new-found love for veggies, we have a limited number of places we can go out for a bite to eat, particularly for lunch. We usually go to Subway and pay $5 for a foot-long "veggie delight" and split it.

In reality, $5 isn't that bad for a weekend lunch for two. But if you want to eat a delicious 6" sub for lunch every day, it adds up quickly into the monthly budget!

So what I tried was getting some rolls at the local Price Rite, along with our standard veggies for the week. For our sandwiches, we usually do lettuce, tomato, red onions, spinach, bell peppers, and cucumbers. Chris likes pickles on his and I like provolone, so we get limited amounts for each of us.

The rolls are more like 8" subs, and I'd like to eliminate them eventually for a homemade option, but for this experiment it worked.

The secret is the oil and vinegar dressing. I've been trying for a long while to get it right. The vinegar Subway uses isn't straight red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar... none of these things straight. I finally found a blog that figured it out! It's a combination of mostly white wine vinegar and a hint of red wine vinegar, just enough so the combo is a blush pink! I happened to have both in the house, so I tried and, and this guy NAILED it!

Add some olive oil, salt and pepper on top of a grinder (hoagie, sub, whatever your local lexicon is) full of sliced veggies is one of the most "delightful" things for lunch I've ever had. It's extremely low calorie, and it's very filling.

Like I said, the only thing I'd like to tweak is what I use for bread. The rolls I got at the store were just so-so, and not as fresh as Subway's.... or what I could do on my own. Maybe some sliced crusty bread would work?

Play with it! It's a great way to get the kids to eat raw veggies, and you can really do anything raw in it!

5 comments:

~*Lalelop*~ said...

try these:

French Bread
http://keephomesimple.blogspot.com/2010/05/quick-french-bread.html

or

Whole Wheat
http://www.veganricha.com/2012/07/whole-wheat-baguettelong-loaves-step-by.html

The first one I have made and it is pretty good. The second is on my to do list.

Danielle McCauley said...

Oooh thank you! Whole wheat appeals to me like nothing else these days. I just can never get it to rise as well as I'd like!

~*Lalelop*~ said...

I definitely had a veggie delight last night! I have been craving it ever since reading this blog! So off to Subway we went. I don't get any oil/vinegar or sauce on mine and I skipped the cheese (seeing I went way overboard on the homemade chocolate chip cookies yesterday afternoon) but it was still delicious!

Natural Q.T. said...

Omgosh I was so excited to find your blog post on subway dressing, as I am preparing tuna fish sandwiches for dinner but sadly the link that is posted in your post. Do you happen to know how much measurements of them together (for future reference)?

Danielle said...

Hi Natural Q.T.!

I think it was about a 4:1 ratio... I was just looking at that post the other day!

So 4 units of white whine vinegar to 1 unit of red wine vinegar. "Unit" can be anything from tablespoon to cup, depending on how much you want to make.