Home

Friday, July 13, 2012

Midsummer update!

Hey everybody! I disappeared off the face of the planet again, but I'm trying to remember this space during our wonderful summer. Every day has been beautiful, and we've seen so little rain this year; it's hard not to get outside and play.

There's some news from our camp: we've gone vegetarian!

After watching Forks Over Knives, I pretty much flipped my lid. I've gone vegetarian in the past, but only for a month, in preparation of quitting tobacco. (Does that make any sense?) I'm a big meat-eater, and so is Chris. We absolutely love meat, but we've examined this lifestyle and have mutually decided that just because we really love meat doesn't mean it's necessarily good for us. It became impossible to justify the meat culture apart from desire, so we quit.

We hope to stick to this. It's particularly hard on my cooking style; I used to cook meals around the meat-aspect of the meal. Now, I need to find substitutes for meat, or just serve a meal without having different parts, like sides and things.

On the upside, groceries are a bit cheaper. We shop at the ghetto super market... you know, the one where you have to pay for a bag and bag your own groceries. The one you probably would rather not shop at if you could avoid it? The produce at the ghetto-mart is extremely varied and very cheap! We go late on a weekday evening and we're pretty much alone in the joint, free to pick whatever we like without too much of a hassle.

We haven't been doing the vegetarian thing too long, but it's already improving how I look at things. I'm not sure if it's psychological or not, but I feel full much, much earlier in a meal. I'm sleeping better, I'm focusing better, and I'm losing weight! We're having a really fun time learning how to eat better and feel better.

Hope you're all having a wonderful summer!

3 comments:

Erica W. said...

Hi -- I go through vegetarian and non-vegetarian cycles -- usually 5 years of veg, then a few months of meat frenzy, then back to veg. Good luck staying veggie -- I'm about to re-enter a veg cycle, I feel.

Danielle McCauley said...

Thanks for the kind words, Erica! How long have you been doing the vegetarian cycles?? Do you feel an improvement when sticking to veggies?

Erica W. said...

Since I was eleven, more or less. I was vegetarian for about five years up until this past September, when I had a major meat craving, but am now getting grossed out by meat again and haven't had any meat for about a week. I honestly don't feel any different physically -- I reach a point where the idea of meat is repugnant to me (but not the taste or smell -- ever) and so I go veg, then at some point I have an intense physical need to eat some beef and go all meat crazy, then get grossed out, and so on and so on. It's the suffering of the animals that makes me not want to eat them, not b/c I think a meat-based diet is bad for people (just bad for the meat animals).