Home

Friday, May 25, 2012

Sox

I'm not a fan of socks. If I could wear sandals year-round, I would. And sometimes I do, if the winter isn't too harsh.

But I have friends. And those friends know I knit. And they know the glory that is handmade socks. And since I'm seeing one of these said friends in a couple of weeks, I've decided to jump right in and make a pair of genuine, sock-yarn socks. Something I've never done.

So far, so good. I've actually finished a sock and am about halfway through the second one. I'm using Ann Budd's Getting Started Knitting Socks as a general guideline for the gauge I've got. It's been useful, particularly with the tips about percentages of any sock divided among stitches.

I really like the yarn, and I've even made a sock blocker of my own. It's cardboard, but considering how many socks I knit, it should suit my needs just fine. I got the yarn (Into the Whirled Gloucester Sock) at the Second Annual New England Fiber Festival this past fall.

I wish I enjoyed knitting socks more. I wish I found more of a purpose for them. But there's always Chris and there are always cold feet out there!

Do you have something you actively avoid knitting or crocheting??

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I love the sock! I am still working on mine and am so close to being done with the first. I just need to sit down and push through to the end.

Well done!!

Michelle said...

Ha ha, socks made with proper sock yarn are the things I avoid knitting! Yours looks wonderful!