Home

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Little Wisdom

I'm getting antsy for spring, so I've been thinking a lot about when I should start my plants this year. I'm not one who believes in the Zodiac. Let's get that squared away first and foremost...

...But some things make me wonder... not deity-wise, but Earth-wise.

For example, successfully planting a crop by the signs. It seems like an archaic practice, but some folks swear by it. I believe the Farmer's Almanac still uses signs in it's published material.

Here are a few old "myths" that I wish I could test and know for sure. I found them very interesting, and I hope you do too!

  • Planting is best under the "fruitful" signs of Scorpio, Pisces, Taurus, or Cancer.
  • Don't plant anything during the "barren" signs; instead, do all your trimming, deadening, and destroying during those signs. (Leo, Aries, and Sagittarius - Sagittarius is reportedly alright for cucumbers and onions, but best for business affairs.)
  • Set your plants out in a water or air sign.
  • Don't graft or plant on a Sunday as this is a hot, barren day (the sun's day).
  • Don't transplant in the heart or head signs (Leo or Aries, respectively) as both are considered "Death Signs." This one cracked me up!
  • Plow, till, and/or cultivate in Aries
There are a lot more rules, but that's just a taste of the gardening arena. Here are a few more generalized rules that I never had a clue about:
  • Paint houses or cars in a dry sign like Leo or Aries
  • Set fence posts in the "old of the moon" (last quarter) to prevent loosening
  • Quit habits on the second day that the moon is in Sagittarius, on the new moon, or in Pisces
  • Cut your hair in Libra, Sagittarius, Aquarius, or Pisces; it will grow stronger, thicker, and more beautiful.
  • Hunt in Taurus
  • Lay foundations in Capricorn
  • Destroy weeds, kill trees, and turn sod in the barren signs Gemini, Leo or Virgo, particularly if the moon is in the last quarter.
You don't have to believe in these - I don't even know what to think of them. People have used them for centuries successfully, but who knows! Maybe you folks out there can give some of these a try and see if they work!

1 comment:

g+m said...

How do we define "successfully?"

Surely not with any sort of actual scientific evidence.

Never underestimate the placebo effect. =p