Home

Thursday, October 6, 2011

'Tis the Season for.... babies?

No, Mom. Not my own.

Almost everyone I know is having kids, if they don't already have any! I have three cousins overseas in France, two of which are expecting for the winter of 2011/12. I'm so happy for them, I find myself completely overwhelmed with the need to knit!

Baby knits are by far the most fun to make. You can get creative, spend lots of cash, follow a pattern, or spend very little. There are a million patterns out there for babies, and really, it's knitting a garment in the fraction of the time that you would knit an adult's garment.

For my cousins, I think I will try these patterns:

The Owlie Sleepsack for infants. Doesn't that sleep sack look comfy? With the rainy, cold weather we've been having here in New England, I think I could use an owlie sleep sack! I don't know much about babies, but I look at this picture and I know that baby is happy in that sack! A lot of folks have made the sack with Malabrigo Worsted, which I just so happen to have on hand! So soft, so warm, and so much love.

Baby booties! Specifically the rolled cuff baby booties! I'm always grateful for gender-neutral things I can find, particular when I just hear about a pregnancy. Only 1 of the 2 expecting cousins know the gender of their baby (a boy!), so I have to go with a few things that will be good for a boy or a girl. Booties are universal, and I'm sure I can dredge up some neutral colors for a nice pair. (I hate that I have to consider gender colors for garments, though. Boys can wear pink, girls can wear blue, eff you tradition! But because we're talking Normandy, France here, I want to stick to tradition and not piss anyone off.)

The baby sophisticate looks like it would be a nice, warm jacket for a cute little man. Because these are such small sizes, I could probably splurge on some very fine yarn for this kind of thing. I just worry about garment care for something like this. But really, this is so irresistible! The charcoal gray is a lovely choice, but what immediately springs to mind when I look at this jacket is pipe smoking. This is not a good thing to come to mind when looking at an infant, so I'm not sure I'll stick to it. Either way, I like the raglan sleeves and the collar of this jacket. It helps that it's top-down - I really am not a fan of seaming.

What do you knit for babies? Am I forgetting some important knits that every new parent is grateful for? What do you suggest?

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I've knit the Floyd Pullover by Kristen Rengren a couple of times. New mums have liked the 1920s vintage look of it and long term mums who've seen me knitting it say it is a good style because there is lots of head room to get wiggly babies dressed!

Sassafrass said...

I just looked it up on Ravelry - isn't it CUTE! It looks pretty unisex too! Thanks for the suggestion, now I HAVE to make it! :D

Nicole said...

I love the Owl sleep sack! My friend is pregnant and I'm looking for cute things to make for her.

Susan B. Anderson has so many cute hats for babies!

Belia said...

Identifying the ideal women Pullover for the season will not only keep you warm but will also keep you looking fashionable.

Beegirl said...

So cute! Love the booties!