Home

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Occupy X

We canceled our cable more than 2 years ago now, and we haven't looked back. We don't get CNN, Fox, MSNBC, or any of the other major 24 hour news outlets that have almost credit in our home.

But we pay attention to the news. We read a lot on the internet news sites. We do our very best to get as many angles and different sources for our news.

One thing we've been hearing about outside of almost all major media outlets is the Occupy movement. It started in NYC, but it's grown out to many major cities in the US, including

What I have heard in the media is the portrayal of the protestors as being mostly dirty, inconsiderate, college-aged kids who're protesting with their hopes high for a hand-out from someone.

This doesn't seem to be the case, folks. There are pilots and nurses who've lined up with the youth trying to be heard. There are older folks joining up in the ranks who've been around a lot longer than the dorm-dwellers, and they've got life experience.

I've also heard that there's no "unified message" among the protestors. Well, I disagree. I think there's a lot to be said about their point in the name of the protests: Wall St. 

I think this video sums it all up nicely:

Are you frustrated with the political atmosphere in the US? Are you frustrated with the protestors?

I'm curious to hear what you folks think of the situation in the US. I know it's a loaded topic, but it's a really important one.

Whether or not you agree with the Occupy movement, I'm pretty sure we can all agree that this country needs less predatory corporations and bankers and more critically-thinking, active citizens.
(This is not me. It is a photo from thousands of others at wearethe99percent)

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Thank you for sharing this! My brother and sister-in-law just posted on Facebook about the slacker/victim mentality that these people have. I used the two websites that you posted as my comments on their post.
The best part is that my brother just recently complained about having to pay $600 a month out of pocket for insulin because his wife didn't have insurance. My brother (who is married to the above mentioned sister-in-law) is always going on about how much he wishes he had not gone to college because the degree he got has done nothing more than create debt he cannot pay back.
UGH!!!

Sassafrass said...

Nicole, that's awful. I'm so sorry about your brother.

The cost of healthcare in this country is *outrageous.* The whole topic of healthcare alone deserves its own post, I have SO MUCH to say about it. The pharma companies aren't there to cure you: that's wouldn't make sense, financially-speaking.

Let me preface this with the suggestion that my opinions on medicine are very controversial, so don't think I've gone completely batty, but...

...Going to the doctor almost guarantees a 5-10 minute visit, a large co-pay, potential added costs, and useless pills that will keep the problem under wraps. Or, sometimes, misdiagnosed. I've seen it in my own family!

I'm sorry for ranting. I just can't STAND the atmosphere in this country right now. :(

I wish I could help your brother, though. Between college debt and medical bills, how can people survive?