Home

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Considering

The first sweater I ever made was the Central Park Hoodie. I have no idea how I got so ambitious to start there (I was new to cabling too), but I ended up there.

I think I was too hasty in picking a very large size for this sweater. I think I may have a skewed sense of body size (don't we all?) since I always aim for one size thinking "you better fit into this if you work that hard to make it!" I chose the 56" size. This was a mistake. 

What you can't see in this (crap) picture is how much extra knitted fabric there is almost everywhere on this sweater. At the sides of my body, I could afford to take out at least 6 inches of knitted fabric. The sleeves could be shortened comfortably by another 6 inches. The sleeves are just shy of doubled my arm diameter, and I don't have small arms, folks.

I chose the 56" because one of my most comfortable sweaters had approx. 27 inches across the bust. I figured jeez, that was kind of large, but I chalked it up to being a kind of large person. My shoulders are incredibly broad, and it really screws with how I knit things for myself, it seems.

I spent a lot of time, money, and frustration on this sweater. It was, after all, my first; I should be grateful I can even wear the first sweater I knit! The yarn wasn't cheap, but it pills (I used Cascade 220 in 2445 - Shire). I also sewed in a zipper, and I really regret that now.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to frog this sweater and restart in another size, or if I should just fold it in a drawer and retire it. Maybe frog what I can and re-purpose the yarn I can salvage? Maybe take the knitted fabric in and steek-style it into fitting better?

Any suggestions out there?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I knit a jumper too big once, but because it was knit in the round I decided to bring in the sides a bit by sewing seams. That worked. I thought of steeking, but was too scared! But now that I have some sewing skills I would try steeking (if I could drag myself away from my sewing to ever knit anymore!). Good luck with whatever you decide, but please don't leave the cardigan in the cupboard never to be worn - such a shame to waste all those knitting hours.