Home

Friday, September 23, 2011

What the eff is a hexapuff?

© tiny owl knits
If you've been paying attention to Ravelry at all, or if you're like me and pretty much stalk your internet friends' activity (because you all find such awesome stuff sometimes), you've heard of a hexipuff.

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, you should totally check out The Beekeeper's Quilt by Tiny Owl Knits (Ravelry links). This is the most adorable little project ever! Okay, maybe it's not so little, but it does travel well! I've got only a few amassed since I've been hard at work on my Emelie since July, but the ones I do have are soft, cute, and plump little hexagons!

I don't really enjoy knitting socks, but I love sock yarn, so I've found a whole new use for the yarn I had just sitting around. Even the odds and ends from finished projects can be thrown into a cute little hexapuff. According to the pattern, each hexapuff only requires about 20 yards of sock yarn or thereabouts.

© tiny owl knits
I've managed to get a few done on the go, but I have no where near 300+ of them. Maybe a dozen? It's more of a long term project I guess! And it's such an easy project that a beginner could stand to learn a lot with this hexapuff quilt! The only real techniques are casting on, knitting on 2 DPNs, increasing and decreasing. I've been using the three needle cast-off for the last round. I don't stuff my hexapuffs quite to the brim, either.

I'm really enjoying this neat little take-along project. While it's slow going, I think it's a special little thing that will hold memories of where you were when you knit each hexapuff, and will come together to make a wonderful collage of color and texture.

Have you heard of the Beekeeper's Quilt? Have you tried it, or would you like to??

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I was so "yeah, whatever" when i first saw this pattern and the craze that started on Ravelry. Then a sweet person bought the pattern for me and I now have the PUFFS! Must knit puffs!
I love sock yarn and this is a great way to use it. Plus, my finished puffs go into a big mason jar and that makes a cute little art piece.

Sassafrass said...

A mason jar!? You're a GENIUS. Can I swipe your idea? :D

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have not finished the Blankie yet, but I have too much socks already and sockyarn enough, so I decided to start the Beekeeper too. It uses more wool then a Blankie Pyramid, but that is fine, I'll end up with a summerevenings plaid and a winterblanket, if I stuff the Puffs. i cast on on sockneedles 35 cm long, yes, I am an armpitknitter, what is worng with that, it suits me.Longtailcaston as for a sockcuff, I do knit on to a total of 44 instead of 40 stitches, I like the hexagons better that way, knitting one round over and then starting with the decreasing and casting of on three needles. I always read about the visible seem on socktoes with the three needle cast off. In the Netherlands we turn the nearly finished sock inside out throegh the loophole formed by the needles, then putting the stitches of the lower counts on one needle and binding of, no visible seam on the outside and the seam disappears between the stitches of the last round. I have never seen this on any video or read it on posts about three needle bind offs, so maybe you do not turn the knitting inside out? BTW English knitting does not require to let go of the thread after each stitch, that is the way little girls learned to knit at school in the fifties and not fast at all.We just keep the thread over our right indexfinger right above the needle and throw easily and swiftly our thread around the stitch that is to be knit, knitwise Continental knitting might be faster, purlwise not. Happy hexaknitting.