Home

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pickling Success

Way back, almost out of memory now, there was spring. I found some seed packets for cucumbers and recalled even further into the recesses of my crap memory that my adjacent neighbor said the ground here was ideal for cucumbers.

I didn't need much encouragement. Cucumbers went into the raised bed in spring. They've since flourished. Our tomato crop suffered badly this year and only produced 2 meals' worth of sauce, but where the tomatoes lacked, the cukes produced. When I say "produced," I mean I saw some of the biggest cukes in my lifetime this summer!

We've actually got more on the vines now than during the summer, which only encourages me more. Why? Because the pickles I made at the beginning of pickling season turned out absolutely fabulous. An afternoon or two ago, I cracked open the jar I set up about 3 months ago. I put it in the fridge when I first set the pickles and left it there until today.

Chris seems to approve. These have the taste and consistency of your standard Vlasic kosher dills, but the flavor is about ten times more intense and has so much more depth. There's a certain sweetness to the pickles that I can't quite pin down. I recall, however, that I ran out of white vinegar at the very onset of the pickling process. Since I had everything ready to go, water boiling and all, I may as well try the apple cider vinegar I use so often. Maybe that had something to do with the awesomeness of this batch.

Either way, I'm doing this again. And again. And again. With any luck, there'll be pickles in Christmas stockings this year along with lard lye soap and crocheted wash cloths!

Here's what I used:
  1. As many pickles (quartered) that would fit into a quart jar
  2. 3 cups of water
  3. 3 cups of apple cider vinegar and a little bit of white vinegar (like maybe 4 tablespoons at most)
  4. 1/4 pickling salt
  5. 1/4 cup sugar 
  6. A bunch of dill (I have no idea, I just threw a few sprigs in, beginner's luck!)
  7. A medium-sized clove of fresh garlic
I canned the pickles and let them sit in the back of the fridge for at least 6 weeks.

2 comments:

Will le Fey said...

There's a museum in St. Petersburg with a pickled sea cucumber, labeled as Rasputin's penis.

Sassafrass said...

That's unfortunate for the sea cucumber. :(