Home

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Summer knits

Knitting has been a blast lately. I've found that knitting for the many infants we now know is ideal for summer work. I've done the rounds for the people we know. So many folks are having kids, I feel a little left out. My family doesn't have any infants yet, but there's good news from overseas, in France - my cousin and his "muse" are having a baby come December! The first baby of the generation! I feel less pressure to be the first now. :)

I've ordered the yarn for the Emelie cardigan. I loved the look of it. There's a certain vintage je ne sais quoi about it. I decided to go with Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Sport in Amethyst Heather. I've done about 3 swatches so far, and I can't seem to nail down the gauge. Hopefully, I'll find the niche soon enough.

I'm not sure which kind of projects I want to commit to while on the road. I'm thinking it doesn't really matter, so long as it doesn't require lots of space and/or yarn to carry along with me. It would be nice to knit this Emelie while switch-hitting the drive with Chris. I also want something pretty considerable in time-invested since we're looking at an average of 10 hours in the car every day on a seventeen day trek (with exception to the days we're camping at the national parks).

I have a bunch of other things I want to get knit up too. The cowboy cowl (Ravelry link) looks amazing. Something luxurious, soft, and drapey would work I think. The light color makes this cowl look great, but I'm such a sucker for project photography. I think it all looks great!

Meanwhile, I've purchased the KnitPicks Try It needles set to determine whether or not I'd like the Harmony wood needles. I also got to sample the acrylic and nickel needles, but they're not really what I was going for. Turns out I'm in love with the Harmony wood needle set, but I'm very hesitant about dropping $85 on it. I'm sure it's well worth it, but it's a large sum of money. I have an almost complete set of Clover bamboo needles at this point, but they're not as fun to work with! Is $85 worth the fun and luxury?

I'd argue it was if only I could find a coupon for money off. I figured KnitPicks would give me a coupon off the set purchase after buying the Try It set. Guess not. I've been watching the KnitPicks Trade/Sale thread in the Options forum on Ravelry, but I've not found what I want yet. Maybe I should suck it up and buy the needle set, huh?

3 comments:

g+m said...

My philosophy has always been that if it'll really give you that much pleasure, it's worth it. Especially for something you'll use as often as you'll use those needles.

Nicole said...

I've been thinking about those needles myself! Wasn't sure if I should spend the money on them. Of course, I really want a swift and last night, after having to hold my yarn so I could wind it with the ball winder, my husband asked me how much a swift was. He said the next time we had the money to spare I was to buy one. Yay!

I am loving the cardigan pattern and I'm going to have to add it to my favorites.

Have an enjoyable road trip! I hope you get a lot of knitting done!

Sassafrass said...

Nicole, if you order from Joann's online (the fabric store chain), you can easily find a 40% off coupon for a good quality swift. I think I paid $40-50 for mine - it's this model: http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd45839

Nadi, thanks for the encouragement! By the way, the hat for Joley is pretty much completed. I'll send you a message on FB.