Home

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Nice break.

This photo belongs to Dave Conte, best meet photographer ever
Hey y'all~ Long time, no type!

As I mentioned earlier, I've been away in Maine. I got nice and crispy on the cool Maine coast. The sunburn has since disappeared into a nice tan - something I haven't managed to allow myself in years!

I've also pretty much halted knitting progress. I'm just finishing up the Multnomah that I started a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping for a nice, mindless knit to work on while around the table with good friends. It worked out nicely! The only thing I really needed was a small piece of paper to keep track of which of the four lace rows I was working on at any given time.

This photo also belongs to Dave Conte
Our garden is looking proper, and we've already had the benefit of eating some of the lettuce we planted. The tomatoes are already coming in, and our roses are looking divine.

Tonight, I've broken out the remainder of the canned tomatoes from last season and have dumped them into a pot with a bunch of herbs and things to make a lovely, freezable sauce for the weeks before we get fresh tomatoes.

Our vacation in Maine was one of the best years we've seen with this group yet. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was the best year we've ever had. Chris and I hope to go back next year, but we're not sure yet. This year had only encouraged us.

I'm also almost out of knitting projects. What are you folks knitting this summer? Any awesome finds?

2 comments:

Gwen said...

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials! It's good to see you seem so content and completely happy. Your future children are going to have a great childhood with a mother like you.

This summer is the first that I've had a veggie garden and I'm already obsessed. We took a 5'x8' planter box in the back and planted strawberries, crookneck squash, cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, and eggplant. Along my fence I planted an artichoke, and I started a pretty large herb garden as well. The lettuce is mostly red and green leaf, which are larger than anything I had expected.

It's going so well I've had the kids list out every fruit or veggie they'd like to have and we're planning a near year-round garden. This fall we'll clear a good area of our yard and will plant some fruit trees, although which ones is still being decided.

I am really new at this so who knows how well it'd go, but I'd love to be able to grow most of the produce we consume.

Still very much love your blog. You definitely inspire me to reconnect with my "homey" self. You're awesome, Danielle, keep posting. =)

Gwen said...

Oh! Since I am already rambling on for days here I may as well tell you I have totally come around to the idea of chickens in the yard. With all that I am growing and want to grow it'd be just great if I could have a small coop in the back of my pretty damn big yard with just 1 or 2 chickens in it. There's a really nice spot where they could be shaded partially under a tree, but also have an area of sun. There are people in my city pushing very hard for the law to allow chickens in the residential areas. As long as you don't create a disturbance or have too many I don't see the problem.

Go Chicken Ladies!