Home

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Final Push

We have our big internet meet in less than a week. You can tell 'cause the leaves have fully filled in on the trees and the garden bed is thriving. Some of our neighbors even have that air conditioner hum going. Right around this time of year, you know it's time to let everything take care of itself now that it's up and running and disappear for a week into a haze of fun on the coast of Maine.

I've been working hard to try and make something from scratch for everyone who is attending. I have never really endeavored to make anything in numbers more than five or six, but this year, I'm trying to finish off a whole bunch of stuff to bring.

Up first is two dozen cotton washcloths that have actually exhausted a lot more yarn than I thought possible. Skein after skein after skein disappear into these things. I've been to Michael's and JoAnn's in the past few weeks more than anyone should have to admit to. I am so sick of crocheting, but I continue on in hopes that everyone will get some good use out of them.

Second, I used about 5 pounds of lard for soap making to go with the washcloths. I made the soap about 4 weeks ago and these huge blocks of soap are now sitting in our guest room, solidifying and setting. I think this afternoon, I will cut them up into their proper sizes so they can finish setting and get wrapped by the end of the week. This is one thing that blew my mind about this soap:

$3.49 for 16oz of lye (more than enough for 5 pounds), $1.29/lb of lard ($6.45), water from the tap, and some essential oil has made more soap than I think we'd need in at least 9 months. That equals out to be ~$2.00 per pound of soap. And does it ever do the trick!

One of the girls and I were going to do this ugly yarn crocheted granny square blanket. We each said we'd do a bunch of 9 inch squares to go into a blanket, but I don't remember all the details. If we each did 9 nine by nines, that would leave us with only 18 squares. 18 isn't a square number, so I'm not sure what we were thinking. I'll do what I can.

Lastly, I started this crocheted Kirby that I promised to friend. Let me be honest: I feel really guilty about this Kirby. It's been almost a year since I finished the body. I have to do the face, which will be an embroidery challenge. This poor guy has been waiting on me forever. I have to finish before we go to the meet.

I have less than a week to finish all of this. After that, I can get back to knitting. Which, my friends, I am desperately looking forward to.

1 comment:

knitinsage said...

omg girl, i am kicking butt on the dishcloths as well! two-sided tunisian, knitting, etc. here's a great-looking crocheted one i'd like to try:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/potholder-hot-and-cold

joann's here in socal has the 12 oz giant skeins of cotton on sale for $7.99 right now. i indulged ;-)