Home

Friday, April 15, 2011

Two Years

I haven't been around much. I'm sorry for this. The spring air has me fervently rushing home from the office just to bask in the sun fireside. I'll get used to the warmer weather and drift back, I promise. I have so much to talk about, too!

I just wanted to mark today as my two year anniversary of quitting the nasty habit of smoking.

I won't lie. I miss it. I particularly miss the morning cigarette with the cup of coffee. There are few things in life that compare to that kind of bliss. I dream of it. I'll probably go back to smoking when I'm an old lady and on the brink since I liked it so much, but I think if it's not outlawed entirely by then, I will roll my own.

Some things have since become apparent to me. Cigarette companies up the content of nicotine in their cigarettes to get you well hooked. There is an intentional maliciousness to the whole industry as far as I'm concerned. It's one of the reasons I quit.

And a moment to discuss quitting things you love: I didn't have too much trouble quitting. I think there was some kind of mental switch that turned my brain off cigarettes. It helped that the price of a pack of Marlboro menthol lights rose to almost $8 a pack here in Massachusetts, and I couldn't imagine spending almost $3000 a year on the inhalation of carcinogens. It was as though everything aligned and my mind made itself up. I had very little to do with it. I quit cold turkey and haven't gone back to tobacco since, despite the occasional craving.

The one thing I noticed within less than a month after quitting was that I could inhale deeply again. I couldn't do that before without wheezing or coughing. Even as I write this, I inhale occasionally to remind myself that hey, it's okay to breathe now. It continues to be something I recognize as a benefit even 2 years later.

I started smoking when I was 16, but didn't form a solid habit until I was 18 or so. It wasn't because I wanted to look cool or tough, although that was always fun as a teenager. I quit when I was 27. That's not a lifetime of smoking (thank goodness), but it's still plenty of damage done and a fine addiction to defeat. Even when I was a smoker, I didn't identify as a smoker, so I think that helped in quitting.

There are a lot of political things I'd like to say in this post, but I think maybe I should save that for another time. Today, I celebrate two years of being able to breathe.

7 comments:

The Dopefish said...

I continue to be proud of you for quitting! :)

Telemachus said...

Congratulations. It's an ugly habit, and it hurts one's sense of pride knowing that you are at the mercy of a drug - not to mention the hurt on your wallet.

Kate! said...

Yay- congrats to you! I quit seven years ago, after smoking a pack a day from 14 to 20, and I still miss it sometimes. The morning butt and the one after a good meal is greatly missed.
Congratulations again!

Karen E said...

Congrats on quitting and sticking with it! I do agree, the whole industry is built around getting people hooked. More money for yarn... =)

Michelle said...

Congratulations!

knitinsage said...

congratulations! it's supposed to be one of the hardest addictions to conquer!

i hope you are very proud of yourself!

yumi said...

Yay! I was wondering about this topic. I'm so glad your nicotine celibacy continues and that you're doing great with it. :) Keep up the great work!