Home

Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Smell of Fire

Finally, we've got some good sunshine going up here in New England. I've had my fire pit set up since the snow melted, in eager anticipation of lazy afternoons spent in front of the fire while knitting and listening to a good book.

The past few days, I've been able to rush home in time for a fire outside. I've been listening to To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Philip José Farmer while I knit up a few of my yarn ideas. I've been wearing the sweater my mom knit for me since it's not quite that warm around 5-6pm, but when the sun shines, I can manage to ignore everything but what's right in front of me.

Chris seems to not like how I smell like fire all the time, now. It takes days to wash the smell out of my skin and my hair, and this is something that I find so comforting, I have a fire as often as I can just to continue smelling like this.

When I'm sitting in my windowless dungeon of an office, counting numbers and dealing with clientele, every now and again I get a whiff of fire from my hair or from my clothes. This makes my day about three times better, and I'm about five times as more likely to get work done, having been reminded that there is a world outside my work desk, and that I can carry it with me sometimes.

The smell of fire gives me more confidence, too. I'm probably crazy, but sometimes, I feel really lost out there in the world, even when I'm surrounded by people I love. I don't understand a lot of the madness that's going on in our country, and how cruel people can be to one another. Sometimes, just a small scent of something so primitive as a wood fire reminds me that I am grounded and that I am a part of this planet. It gives my bad feelings a positive spin.

3 comments:

Tasha said...

One of the best dances I've ever had was with a man who smelled like campfire. So delicious.

Kate! said...

I love this and totally agree! The smell of wood burning makes me feel very human and very real. Lovely!

Made by Hand on Planet Earth said...

I'm totally with you on the fire. LOVE the smell of fire.