Home

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Planting Progress

Well, it's been a while since I sewed my seeds, despite how recently I posted about it. We've made some incredible strides in the seedling health engineering department here in the house. I mentioned the appearance of mold the other day, which my mother promptly expressed concern about. I've since solved the problem with a cheap shoe rack, a couple of screws, and some fluorescent lighting.

We had this old shoe rack sitting in the garage which we used for our boots last winter, but didn't hold up so great since it's, well, a cheap piece of crap. I held on to it because it seemed like it could come in handy some day.

Boy, did it ever. To solve the sunshine problem, I simply mounted a $10 fluorescent light strip onto the center wood piece, facing downwards onto my lovely seedlings.

I put a timer on the light into one of the very few electrical outlets in the kitchen. 16 hours of sunlight seems to be the norm on these seedlings, so I've got it on from 6am until 10pm. The seedlings seem to be responding remarkably well. I'm so pleased with myself for it! The light is about 2-3 inches above the seedlings for now, which helps to keep the cats away from anything in there.

Hopefully, the seedlings grow up and strong. I'm not sure when I need to consider putting the seedlings into their own containers, but until they get bigger and stronger, I'll just let them enjoy their false sunshine and lead happy, healthy lives! 

4 comments:

knitinsage said...

so very clever! and a persuasive argument for not getting rid of things like unstable shoe racks ;-)

whatcha growing?

Made by Hand on Planet Earth said...

They look good... and so organized. I always make markers out of whatever I can find on hand. Your little sticks look so perfect and orderly.

Sassafrass said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sassafrass said...

I've got romaine lettuce, stevia, carrots, peas, onions, chives, sage, oregano, basil, catnip, lavender, cucumber, morning glories (three varieties), sunflowers, and some mixed lupines that my friends got me while I was in Maine last summer :D