Home

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Knitting Circles

Locally, it seems pretty chic to knit in circles. Well, not literally in circles, but with other women and secure men. I want to try this. But I don't think I can bring myself to actually attending one of the more local knitting circles. I'd feel like such an outsider.

My fears stem from the fact that I don't feel I'm the cliché knitter. I'd be more comfortable sitting around talking about world events, politics, and religion than I would be about talking about the neighbor's new granddaughter or the newest recipe someone tried. Okay, maybe I'd be interested in the new recipe. But not as much as I would be in what people think of the US's involvement in Operation Odyssey Dawn, how offensive or wonderful they find Noé Gaspar as a director, or other topics that so many people feel are mind-numbingly boring. (This is going to make me look like a snobby elitist, but I promise you, I'm not!)

I have a want to reach out and share a common love in yarn with people, but I'm afraid I won't be accepted, or that my skills won't be good enough, or some other fear that's completely irrational and unfounded.

I don't think I have a group really local, either. I'd love to have something within walking distance of my home. There's a library just across one of the major roads in the area, less than a quarter of a mile from my front door. There could be an interest, and more in common than just yarn, if I tried. The grid neighborhood is big, and there are a lot of people living in the houses.

I have visions of grandeur. I imagine women all walking to the library on a Tuesday evening, after dinner and the dishes are done, and we all talk about everything under the sun. No gossip, no drama. Just friendly people who want a tighter, stronger community.

Are you a part of a knitting circle or group? Did you meet your friends in the group via the group, or were you lucky enough to have besties who already knit or crocheted?

4 comments:

Tasha said...

You seem to have done fine making knitting friends online . . . surely it wouldn't be too hard in person.

I know how you feel, though. When I first had J, I had no desire to go to "mommy groups" because I assumed they were so far from my experience.

Kate! said...

I think one of the amazing things about knitting is the diversity among knitters. My knitting group had so many different types of people, from totally different backgrounds with different political ideas. The conversations, at least at my group, can be really interesting.

Go check it out! It's just a knitting group, and if you don't like it you don't need to go back.

Let us know what you think if you do attend a group! I'd love to hear what you think!

Made by Hand on Planet Earth said...

Knitters are so nice! I don't think you'd have any problem. Start a group at the library! Our library has a group, but I never go. It's too far away and I'm way too busy! I was very active in a guild when I lived in the city, and that was great fun.

Michelle said...

Good luck with joining/starting a group. Please let us know how you go.