Home

Friday, February 25, 2011

That time of year!

Hallelujah, it's time to start planting the seeds for the garden.


I couldn't help myself. I saw the supplies in the hardware store and decided yes, it was time to start planning what we want to do with our garden this year.

Last year, our iceberg lettuce was a complete flop. I'll never plant that crap again. It was hardly edible! This year, I'm trying romaine lettuce instead, in hopes that we can have some delicious summer salads.



These photos were taken a few days ago. I already have healthy looking seedlings for the romaine lettuce. I also set up a fluorescent desk lamp to keep these little pods of dirt in the sun. There's no direct sunlight that these seedling cans bask in without being threatened by the cats. There's competition for the sunlight around here, and the cats usually win, regardless of their opponent.

Among the seedlings, I've also got more stevia, carrots, peas, onions, chives, sage, oregano, basil, catnip, lavender, cucumber, and an assortment of flowers going in the tray. For some reason, these little pads of soil get moldy very fast if they're left to soak (as instructed) and not in direct light. Not sure how to deter that except by keeping that light stuck on these seedlings until they raise and get strong.

I'm thinking of rigging up some kind of better lighting system to keep sunlight equal on all the seedlings for 16 hours a day. I don't think the desk lamp with the CFL is going to cut it.

What have you got going for the spring garden?
Anything new? Any hopes?

2 comments:

Telemachus said...

I was about to say "Those hors d'oeuvres look delicious!" and then I find out what they were :B. Things no garden should be without; green onions and chives. Green onions especially - they feed them to chimps in zoos in Japan and they never get the flu.

Sassafrass said...

Mmmm green onions.

You make me wish for spring even harder.