Home

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Soap Update

Back in January, I wrote about making my own soap from bacon grease collected over time. I was really worried about the integrity of the soap since it wasn't exactly doing what I expected it to do. Not sure why I had any expectations at all.

So I decided to try one of the bars. It had been at least 2 weeks, so I figured hey, that's plenty of time to cure!

I don't think I'm ever going back to bar soap, guys. There was nothing wrong with this soap. It suds up pretty decently, and there's a remarkable difference in how my skin feels after using it. I usually buy cheap bar soap when needed, so I guess it's kind of a given that our skin may feel greasy by the end of the day thanks to that soapy film bar soap seems to create.

I get none of that with this soap. It cleans deep without much effort at all, and it doesn't leave my skin nearly as dry as I expected. I should make it clear that it doesn't leave my skin feeling greasy, either - I was concerned about super-fatting the soap at 4%.

I often carry a little bottle of Palmer's cocoa butter with me in the winter to keep my skin healthy, but I find I'm using it a lot less, unless I'm knitting up a storm, of course.

This soap also lasts a lot longer than the usual bar soap. I started use on a bar of my soap on the same day Chris started a bar of your generic bar soap. His soap is nearly down to a sliver. Mine is about half-used. This pleases me.

I'm really happy with this new DIY for the house. I have quite a bit of soap to go through, not just those 4 bars you see there. I'm still amazed at what I can do when I want to. Now if only I could figure out the J.R. Liggett shampoo bar recipe...

What DIY stuff do you do in your household? Do you think it's worth the time to do it yourself, or do you prefer buying it at the store?

1 comment:

Made by Hand on Planet Earth said...

I think it's worth it to do soap. I've done soap for a while but don't like my recipe that much. I use the liggett's for my hair. Your soap is so pretty. How did you get the molds to work so nicely? Anyway, congrats... I'd say you've mastered the soap!