Home

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Big Bed

Chris has been asking me to consider a new bed for a while, now. Mine was originally bought over a decade ago at your typical local discount store. If I was alone, I probably would have kept the damn thing for another five years, but it was starting to get uncomfortable for us both.

I was debating whether or not to invest in a nice snow blower or a new mattress set. Since the winter storms have calmed down a bit and I feel like we can easily tackle whatever else old man winter has in store for us, I decided the bed was a better consideration.

We went to a few local places in search of the perfect bed. We both have similar likes and dislikes when it comes to mattresses (thank goodness), so searching wasn't too hard. My major mistake was over-shooting the budget and actually telling the salesman my budget. I'm an awful liar and I prefer to be honest, even when negotiating prices for things. I dislike having to play all sorts of mind games just to get a good price.

We avoided the really cheap places but didn't both with the top of the line places. Middle of the road worked out well: we ended up buying a Simmons Beautyrest Avondale Plush from Sleepy's in Springfield. The experience wasn't half as bad as I was expecting it to be, even though the sales people most places you go are like hawks. (Ask for Matt if you're looking for a good salesman to help you out!)

Since I came in under budget (but not by much), I decided a new set of sheets and a new bedspread were in order. Off we went to the Christmas Tree Shops to find something decent. Lucky for us, the quilted bedspreads were 50% off. We picked up this lovely homey quilt and some Egyptian cotton sheets - a luxury and a half for us!

Even the cats are now enjoying our insanely comfortable mattress. I feel like a queen.

No comments: