Home

Monday, February 28, 2011

An Attempt to Acquire A New Skillset

I don't know about you folks, but I love learning new stuff. I love learning new stuff even more when I can teach myself.

Some years ago, my mother bought me an acoustic guitar for Christmas. I learned to play it just a little bit, but never enough to sit down and play anything through. I had DVDs to watch to help me learn and everything, but I don't think I wanted it badly enough. (Note for reader: since I quit smoking cold turkey almost 2 years ago, I understand the motivation of "want" much, much better than I think I ever did.)

I've been reading up and trying to understand how notes, scales, and chords work. I was never blessed with a proper musical education, but I've always been a "musical" person. I can't read notes and have never had lessons, but I can play you some crude Mozart (complete with chords!) on a piano.

I think my mother had a huge role in this kind of musical learning, as she tried to really instill the arts in both my sister and I when we were very young. To this day, I think it's extremely important for each child to be given an instrument of some kind and allow them to explore the world of music. Same goes for paints, crayons, and all artistic expression. I think schools should have a hand in this, but the presence of the arts in public schools seem to be dwindling down to nothing.

But enough of that political shit, let's talk about how much I suck at the guitar! Chris can sing. I can sing. We love the classics. So I'm going to try to learn a whole bunch of technical stuff by the end of weekend, and maybe, just maybe, I can play Hey Jude or Wish You Were Here on the guitar by the end of February.

Do you play anything musical? Where or how did you learn? How do you feel about the arts in public school?

4 comments:

knitinsage said...

i LOVE learning new stuff! i limit it right now to trying new techniques and ideas in the needle arts arena -- otherwise i'd be all over the place ;-)

which, if you looked at my WIP's, you'd think was true anyway! hee hee!

Kate! said...

I bought a fiddle last summer, but I really need lessons. But lessons cost money. And we don't have much of that.

Good luck with the gee-tar!

Made by Hand on Planet Earth said...

I grew up playing piano, singing, and then learned flute and cello. Music is huge in my family. I want to learn to play the guitar, and have one here. Never thought of using a DVD. I'll have to try that with my son, who also wants to learn. Can you recommend a good one?

I think the arts should be in public school. But you're right. They are disappearing.

ImplausibleYarn said...

My mother is a music teacher so growing up involved quite a bit of music. It also installed a strong belief that the arts should be taught in school. How could I ever say otherwise? Good luck with learning the guitar!