Home

Friday, January 7, 2011

Spontaneous Painting

Back when we first bought the house, I wanted a yellow kitchen. We went through two different (horrific) shades of yellow until deciding that it just wasn't going to work for us. We had to paint it white.

A total of four coats of paint later, we gave up. We had painted every room and ceiling in the house, a couple of rooms were painted more than twice. We were sick of painting.

This summer, we painted the exterior of the house. So once again, the yellow kitchen was put on the back burner until I could come up with a plan (if you don't know me very well, you should know that I'm the kind of woman who doesn't let an idea go until it gets implemented or intentionally dropped).

My sister had recently painted her kitchen a warm, happy yellow and suggested I try it. It's called Enlightenment by Valspar.

So at 5pm on a Sunday evening, before having made dinner, I decided to break out the paint brushes and rollers and rope Chris into helping me paint the kitchen with Enlightenment. This is what resulted after about an hour of work. (The kitchen has some really crappy lighting which I plan on resolving soon, but for now, use your imagination if you can't see the difference!)









We're pretty happy with the results. It's quiet, subtle, and clean. It's not overwhelmingly yellow, but it's not plain old boring, clinical white. My sister chose wisely.

Oh, and one thing? Through a lot of experience in painting walls at this point, can I recommend you always splurge a few bucks and go with semigloss or better? Seriously. We thought flat would serve our purposes when we first painted each and every room in this house. We were extremely wrong. Get the semigloss, you won't regret it.

The curtains were a gift from my mother this Christmas, who has an uncanny knack of finding all the vintage stuff I could ever want. Thanks, Mom!


2 comments:

Nicole said...

I like the color! And I love the curtains. As soon as I saw them I was wondering where you got them. Now I will have to be on the look out for vintage curtains!

Sassafrass said...

The curtains are in the Merry Mushroom pattern, which sometimes can be spotted on eBay or in thrift shops, if you want some. Classic 70s, I guess...?