Home

Monday, January 10, 2011

Some thoughts on the most recent American tragedy

First off, I think it's absolutely horrific what happened on Saturday in our nation. Yes, Arizona is physically far away from us here in New England, but it doesn't mean I care any less. It terrifies me to think that these kinds of awful things can happen in something as close to your life as a grocery store.

Places we visit every day, places that are a part of our lives and that we can't carve out, even if we wanted to, are now places that our representatives won't be able to breach the divide that already exists between us as well as they once could.

Normally, I would say I love the fact that a Congresswoman could come out to the common places we visit daily and talk to us is great. But after this, I'm not sure I feel the same. Will we need every politician to be guarded by a fleet of security officers and body guards? How much will that cost the nation? How much will it cost us when it comes to policy and how we are heard?

It's depressing to think that the political atmosphere in this country has become so full of vitriol and intolerance that someone would go out and murder innocent people. I don't want to say it's the left, it's the right, it's the middle - that's not entirely fair. But there's something wrong here, and I don't know how to revoke the things that have been said to convince people that murder is right if it means stopping an XYZ agenda.

I know this is biased, maybe even unreasonable of me, BUT how on Earth can someone justify training crosshairs on a map of people who stand in the way of their goals? Wouldn't that make those people a "target?" How should "target" be interpreted? Prescribe a solution? Rogue, Maverick, retarded governor from Alaska, I don't care who you are, that is not politically responsible. I'm not saying anyone is to blame for the tragedy apart from those who actually committed the acts, but it kind of pisses me off that these politicians think it's okay to breed this kind of thought in our fine nation, and all they do when they're called out on it is half-heartedly apologize for they did or said, and that's that.

I'm so full of anger and sadness with this nation. From what I can tell, most Americans are horrified at what we saw on Saturday, and I'm sure we all have hope it will only get better from here. But some Americans will chose not to turn off Fox News and continue instead to turn off their brains.

You cannot take this country hostage. This is not revolutionary, it's ridiculous.

1 comment:

Tasha said...

Hear, hear - from an Arizonan who drives past that grocery store every day.