Home

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

For the hair

I'm not a big fan of salons. I've never liked small talk and I've never enjoyed hair stylists taking liberties with my hair, no matter how much it would "liven me up." My hair is boring: long undyed blond-ish hair, parted down the middle, and falls about halfway down my back. I love sticking flowers and stuff in my hair at every chance, though.

I usually toss it up into a clip while I'm working in order to keep the hair out of my face, but in the winter, I get cold more quickly this way. So I decided to make my own barrettes. I have no idea if these are still popular, but they serve a function to me, so I don't really care.

I went to Michael's and I bought a pack of these barrettes to play with. They also had a bunch of silk flowers on sale for maybe $0.50 a pop. I got maybe 3 different flowers and some E6000 industrial glue and head home.

I took apart the flowers and layer by layer, I glued them to the bare metal barrette. I let them sit for about 4-6 hours before using them, and voila! A lovely new hair piece! It's most useful when I've got pencils and pens sticking out from behind my ear while I'm trying to reconcile the month's bank statement, trying to figure out why payroll always seems to be a few cents off. If only I could solve that problem!