Home

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Biggest Joke

Did you know that the water we drink out of bottled water is the same as, if not worse than, what comes out of the tap?

Did you know that the water in your tap is regulated and tested in most municipalities more than a dozen times a day, whereas the water that you buy in all those bottles is only regulated by the FDA, and much less regularly than your local municipal water?

Did you know that according to Food & Water Watch, more than 17 million barrels of oil
(enough to fuel 1 million cars for a year) are needed to produce the
plastic water bottles sold in the United States annually?

Did you know that in 2008, Americans spent more than $11 billion on bottled water?

Did you know that it's probably better in every conceivable way for you just to fill a container with water from your sink and carry it with you instead of buying a bottle of water and throwing it out once you've emptied it?

There's really no excuse for this. It appalls me, even from some of my closest friends and relatives, that they're not using reason when they buy bottled water products.

It's simply one of the easiest things you can do. What are your habits?


PS: I don't mean to sound accusatory, if I may be coming across like that. It just pains me to see people buy the bottled water in trying to help themselves to better health when they're not really getting anything in return but empty pockets, bad company policy, and more crap floating in the environment.

4 comments:

Chava Malka Cooper said...

i just don't like the taste of the bottled water where i live. also the water from the water purifier is gross. regular tap water for me please!

Sassafrass said...

Hello Chava! Thanks for dropping by!

I can agree with you about the taste of bottled water; there's something kind of stale and chemical about it around here.

Sus said...

I don't like the taste of the water from our tap, but I find a quick run through a Brita pitcher takes care of that. And those Brita filters can be used much longer than the nice folks at Brita say they should. So I do spend a little on water, and I know it takes resources to make those filters, but it's still gotta be better than all those bottles, right?

Right? :)

Kate! said...

Our water here is a little iffy (it's turned my hair green). We bought an attachment that hooks onto the faucet, and we like it just fine. My Mister like bottled water, so I use his empties for my on the go water. Also, we recycle all of our bottles.