Home

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Response from Caron

Caron published this sweater vest pattern on their website, and I'm not sure anyone proofed this pattern. No one seemed to have let Caron know since I didn't see any errata up there. So I "wrote a letter," as I seem to do more often than I would like.

After more than a month (and having given up on the pattern's textured stitch, implementing my own stitch instead), I got a response from Caron:

Danielle, Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I asked the designer to take a look at this pattern and she made a couple of changes (Below in red). I hope this will help!

BACK
With smaller needles, cast on 80 (92, 100, 112, 116, 124
) sts

Work in 2x2 Rib until piece measures 4 ½” from beginning, dec 0 (0, 2, 2, 0, 2) sts evenly across row – 80 (92, 98, 110, 116,
124 122) sts. Change to larger needle and work in Basic pattern until piece measures 16 (16, 17, 17, 18, 18)” from beginning, end with a WS row.

Shape armholes: Bind off 2 (4, 4, 6, 6, 6) sts at beginning of next 2 rows, 2 (3, 4, 4, 5, 6) sts at beginning of foll 2 rows and then 2 (3, 3, 5, 5, 5) sts at next beginning of foll 2 rows -- 68 (72, 76, 80, 84, 88) sts. Work even until armhole measures 7 (7, 7 ½, 7 ½, 8, 8)”, end with a WS row.

Shape shoulders: Bind off 8 (7, 8, 8, 8, 9) sts at beginning of next 2 stitches
rows, 6 (7, 7, 8, 8, 8) sts at beginning of foll 2 rows, and then 6 (7, 7, 7, 8, 8) sts at beginning of foll 2 rows. Bind off rem 28 (30, 32, 34, 36, 38) sts for neck.

THANK YOU!

Carrie
There were only 2 changes to the written pattern, even though I mentioned the whole SKP thing causing a huge issue with the structure... completely ignored me on that point. Makes me wonder if I was doing it wrong, somehow. So until they upload the corrections to the website, I'm going to assume that they didn't actually fix the problem.


The problem was not in the shaping. It was in the actual "basic pattern." Which looks like this:

There's no counter k2tog or anything in there, so you get a right-slanting piece of work.


See the slant of the work to the right after the ribbing, there? This project belongs to MyFairKatie - one of the fine ladies who quit on the pattern.

The right slant could maybe be accommodated for, if you were clever enough a monkey to want to do so. I know I wasn't about to go through that when I set out. Finding a textured pattern that was good enough to implement (and visibly similar to the original, intended textured pattern) was hard enough.

This is the chart that I engineered (I made this one in hopes that it may help someone else understand):


Written out, it is as follows:
1 and all odd rows: purl all
2: k3 (ssk, k5, yo) k1
4: k3 (ssk, k4, yo, k1) k1
6: k3 (ssk, k3, yo, k2) k1
8: k3 (ssk, k2, yo, k3) k1
10: k3 (ssk, k1, yo, k4) k1
12: k3 (ssk, yo, k5) k1
14: k1 (yo, k5, k2tog) k3
16: k2 (yo, k4, k2tog, k1) k2
18: k3 (yo, k3, k2tog, k2) k1
20: k4 (yo, k2, k2tog, k3)
22: k5 (yo, k1, k2tog, k4) yo, k1, k2tog, k3
24: k6 (yo, k2tog, k5) yo, k2tog, k3

Again, this texture is taken from the Winter Flame scarf over at KnitPicks. They have a chart there too, if you don't like mine. I wouldn't blame you. It's the first chart I've ever made to accommodate my own project. I didn't know there was a chart over at KnitPicks!

I'm going to try and interpret what the designer (Lisa Gentry) wanted her piece to look like (in other words, balance the work out so it doesn't slant) at some point. It'll take some thought. I probably should have done this before I got more than 3/4 of the way through the whole thing. I just hope Ms. Gentry doesn't stumble on this and hate me forever.

It's disappointing that no one has bothered too much to fix the issue, but I'm glad that I can spend some time trying. I suspect it's not Ms. Gentry's fault; judging by the turnover rate of emails to Caron, I wouldn't be surprised if her pattern was warped or something. (A month guys? Really?)

2 comments:

nuttyturnip said...

On behalf of all Gentrys everywhere, I absolve you.

Sassafrass said...

Oh thank goodness, Nutty to save the day <3