Home

Thursday, December 23, 2010

How about that

I couldn't believe what I read. Pat Robertson, founder of the 700 Club, has made his opinion about marijuana publicly. I'm not sure if the article and/or Robertson clearly define whether he's for decriminalization or legalization. There is a distinct difference. Either way, this shocked me:
"I'm ... I'm not exactly for the use of drugs, don't get me wrong, but I just believe that criminalizing marijuana, criminalizing the possession of a few ounces of pot, that kinda thing it's just, it's costing us a fortune and it's ruining young people. Young people go into prisons, they go in as youths and come out as hardened criminals. That's not a good thing." -Pat Robertson
Now, when one of the most extreme right figureheads I can think of comes out in favor of legalization of marijuana, you know something is wrong in this country. Here in Massachusetts, it's only a misdemeanor to carry up to an ounce of weed. If you're caught with anything under that, it's the equivalent of jay-walking. Even then, I hear there are ways around the $150 fine, but I've never been caught carrying pot, so I wouldn't know.

Maybe it's the sixteen year old still kicking around in my perspective here, but I see no harm in grown adults smoking a bowl after a hard day of work, legally. I equate it to having a couple of glasses of wine on a Friday night with a nice meal. Even then, if you take wine to excess, you will see more damage than if you take weed to excess. There are no documented cases of overdosing on marijuana.

The argument remains that one shouldn't drive while intoxicated on anything, from alcohol to crack. Anything that alters your mind should be considered dangerous while driving, and I'm of the opinion that this should include prescription drugs. In fact, I really don't like how doctors will hand all sorts of drugs out like candy with sometimes dire consequences, but a plant is still prohibited in the twenty-first century.

I'm no friend of Mr. Robertson, and usually, I'd say some pretty nasty things about this intolerant, hateful old man. But this has got to be one of the most logical and most coherent things he's ever had an opinion about. I hate that I have to re-formulate my opinion on the man.

What are your opinions of marijuana legalization and/or decriminalization?

No comments: