Home

Monday, November 22, 2010

On the Needles: Late Fall

Is anyone else overwhelmed by the feeling of impending doom when it comes to homemade goods for Christmas gifts? I know I am, and it's not even Black Friday yet.


The cabled vest I am doing for my friend Ashley seems to come to an end. I find that I have an issue motivating myself to go back to it if only because the original pattern was so effed up and I have to generally wing it when it comes to decreases, binding off arm holes, and all that jazz. It's not mindless knitting, and I find it requires quite a bit of attention and post-it notes to keep track of where you are and what you're supposed to be doing with it. I can't wait for it to finish up...

...because I want to get to this. I read about it on SpiderWomanKnits' blog and she made this look stunning. I have some decent chunky wool in smallish amounts that I've been looking for projects for. This looks like it could fit the bill! And what fantastic Christmas gifts this pattern could make!

I also have some Kauni Effektgarn that I want to play with at some point, but I think it will have to wait until after the holidays. I was considering the Heartland Lace Shawl for it, but I've never really done a shawl, so I'm not too confident about it. Either way, I'd like to do something that highlights the colors in the yarn without looking like a gypsy about it.

I've also got another Opal on the needles that I go to when we're driving someplace, or in the movie theater or something. As an aside, the project came in so handy during the new Harry Potter movie. I almost fell asleep in the theater during the movie if I wasn't knitting. Harry Potter isn't my thing, but Chris enjoys it, so I just pack a bottle of water and a mindless project and I'm set.

I've also been doing an autumn cross stitch sampler that I found at the Goodwill for $0.25. I try to make time for that in between everything, when my fingers are sore from hours of knitting. That also requires a bit of concentration, so I don't get to it as much.

What have you got on your needles? Anything that you love?

No comments: