Home

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Commercial Mommies

It's been a while since I've watched any commercial television, so forgive me if this comes across as kooky.

I was watching some stuff on Hulu and there's this commercial. For an energy drink. Apparently, there's this notion of a "2:30" time when you get tired at work, or you need a boost for whatever reason. Fine. Whatever floats your boat. I usually brew some tea as an afternoon treat to keep alert, but I guess a special, terrific "energy drink" would also work (insert secret thoughts of "did you really spend money on that" here).


But my observation is more about this mother, in the commercial, who walks in the door and declares her "2:30 time" to be when she leaves her job and comes home to her "second job" - being a mom.


Now, I don't know about you people (particularly you mothers out there), but do you really regard taking care of your children a "job?" I mean yes, of cou
rse, lots of hard work, patience, care. But wouldn't all these things be a pleasure deep down inside? I'm not a mother, so I can't speak from experience, but I imagine if I felt anything about my children as I do about my cats, I would be excited to get home and see them!

Maybe it's my mindset. I admit, I'm a matriarch and I mother just about everything. But I just don't think I regard taking care of the things I love as a "job." And you arguably can't just quit being a mother like you would a job, either. You're a parent for life, whether you like it or not.

This leads to the inevitable thought of "what are we telling parents out there." Your kids should be regarded as a job? 

I don't talk about my cats as a "job," though they're pains in the asses sometimes. I love them, and I wouldn't have them if I saw them as tasks that require pay to care for.

I guess that's my quandary. Just a thought. Maybe I'm over-thinking it.

5 comments:

ImplausibleYarn said...

Is it the same commercial where they have this mommie was recommended the energy drink by her husband and it does not at all seem to be a nice relationship? Where they have in tiny little letters something about how no crash means no sugar crash? I think its pretty messed up in general. I can't speak for the mothers out there.

Sassafrass said...

Thaaaaaat's the one!

I mentioned this very thing somewhere else and I got both barrels for belittling (actually accused of INSULTING)mothers everywhere. I guess I miscommunicated my original point, so forgive me if I wasn't clear, I didn't want to offend anyone out there.

Tasha said...

I'm just catching up on my blog subs now, so forgive me.

I do consider my kid a sort of job. It is incredibly draining to come home from work to find . . . more work. Kids require a ridiculous amount of care, at least when they're young, and there's really not much of a break--and I find myself needing a pick me up in the afternoon, though I usually resort to chocolate covered espresso beans.

It doesn't have anything to do with how much I adore her--it's just that you can't sit down, you know? Cats don't need that--cuddles, a check on their food and water, maybe a litter box change. Kids are perpetual energy that you have to manage from the time you get home to the time they go to bed, and then you're so tired after they're down that you fall asleep yourself without getting anything done.

This commercial sounds like shit, but the principal behind it is sound.

Sassafrass said...

Thanks for explaining that calmly, Tasha. Really, I appreciate it. I'm not a mother, so I don't know. I never meant to compare children to cats; the mere idea offends even me. I think really came across wrong, and I apologize for it.

Thanks again for being cool about my misinterpretation.

knitinsage said...

what tasha said ;-)