Home

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Recycling at the Office

I don't know about you folks, but when I'm at work, I can go through paper like water. Oops, there's an error on this page, throw the page out and reprint!

I got irritated with the amount of waste paper in my bin at the end of the day. Unfortunately, our building doesn't recycle our paper to the best of my knowledge, so whatever I throw in the waste basket is, well, garbage. I got to feeling pretty guilty about that.

About a month ago or so, my note pad where I write phone messages and trivial crap ran out of paper. I had no replacements. Usually, I just take a note pad from whatever peddler happens to be making his rounds through the building, but I haven't seen any lately.

So I decided to clean up my inbox and remove all the old paperwork that I didn't really need anymore. You know the types of things I'm talking about... pieces of paper that may well have served a purpose at one point a few months ago, but not so much anymore.

I took the stacks of paper and broke out the paper cutter. I cut all the 11 x 8.5 sheets into 5.5 x 4.25 pieces, and stacked them. I have about a two inch high stack now that sits by the phone. I'm hoping I can ween myself off of the use of post-its, but they're just so cute and tidy and convenient!

This should work for home, too. Maybe if I steal some of the stack and bring it home, we can stop using index cards for notes to each other, grocery lists, and other ridiculous stuff. Just another way to penny-pinch, I guess!

2 comments:

Laura Crowell said...

That's a good idea!

I really don't know why businesses and offices and even restaurants don't recycle or use the green bin (don't know if you have that there, but we have a weekly organic waste pick up to cut down on garbage... it basically goes to a giant composter). My mom cleans an office and every week she brings their recycling home so it can actually be recycled instead of ending up in the dump.

I don't see how a recycling truck can't make the rounds if a dump truck can. =/

Tasha said...

I do that too, even though we have a recycling bin, too--I still use post-its, but only when the stickiness is really required. I need to replenish my stash, though.