Home

Friday, September 10, 2010

Mad Men Inspired Knits


I've been watching a lot of Mad Men, lately. I'm one of those people who adamantly refuses to pay for cable just to sit through commercial after commercial for a television show. Thank goodness for Netflix. When I watch a show, I usually watch every season, straight through, in a very speedy fashion.

Naturally, I love the fashion of the show; it seems a lot of women do. It's vintage, classy American fashion that I think really embodies the roles of both the male and female genders in their applicable roles. I'm am, however, glad women have moved on from this time. Holy crap, how could any self-respecting woman put up with the patronizing?

But still, I love the way the period plays up the figure of a woman. Sure, it was a demeaning time for women in history (I always think of The Hours and Julianne Moore's character as the perfect 50s housewife hell for some reason), but my god did they look nice. There's definitely a sense that women took the time to take care of themselves in a sensible, beautiful way. But I'm old-fashioned that way, I guess.

I've seen a few jumpers which Elisabeth Moss (Peggy Olson) wears that I would tweak and replicate in a knit fashion for maximum cuteness. I would try it on myself, but alas, I don't exactly have the ideal body type for these things. There's a lot of inspired knit potential here, and I wonder if anyone has tried to do a modern take on the vintage fashion of the late 50's, early 60s. I'm not sure that straight up original fashion would go over well these days; you may look like you're sporting your Halloween costume if you were try to replicate the look exactly (and I've seen some women actually try).

I think I'll do a few sketches and maybe beg my sister to model a few things, if I find the time. I'm certainly not a connoisseur of fashion by any means, but there are some elements in these clothes that I think should make a subtle comeback, don't you?

1 comment:

Tasha said...

"I wonder if anyone has tried to do a modern take on the vintage fashion of the late 50's, early 60s."

They have--it was essentially the biggest trend of the current fall season--on the runways, at least. Since the actual season is just starting, I guess we'll see what sticks.

http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/F2010RTW-LVUITTON
http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/F2010RTW-PRADA/

Those were the two biggest, though I'm sure there's more. The entire fashion world loves that show.

I have not seen anyone try to recreate it in knit, though. It would be hard to get the skirt silhouette, I think.