Home

Friday, September 17, 2010

Fuel

I recently saw FUEL, a documentary about the potential applications of biodiesel and other more sustainable energy types.

I know about most of the things Tickell discusses in the documentary - politics of petrol, consequences of our "addiction" to fossil fuels, global warming, and so on.

However, I didn't know about algae fuel. Now there's an ingenius idea! How clever to implement microorganisms to do our bidding, and in a healthy manner! If you haven't heard about it, you really ought to read up on it if this topic interests you at all.

One thing that has always perplexed me about this country is how the most simple clean solutions are rarely the path taken. There seem to be so many ways to eliminate unhealthy, expensive crap that we make, but yet no one has commercially implemented any alternative system with any success. I imagine fossil fuel advocates would say something along the lines of "well, they're not successful because there's no demand for it!" which is the biggest line of horseshit that I've ever heard.

Let me tell you: if I had the option to buy biodiesel at the corner gas station in my neighborhood, I would seriously consider a vehicle with a diesel engine. I am pretty sure that anyone who reads these words out there would say the same thing (unless they're a dirty Communist, ha ha ha). Of course, I would hope that any commercially biodiesel-producing company would permit transparency in their business in order to confirm that they're being ethical in their conduct.

It's definitely time for a change, though. And I think it's coming. I just hope it gets here sooner than later. Meanwhile, I think I need to fill the tank on my way home tonight.

Would you consider purchasing a vehicle with alternative energy sources? What would your guidelines be? What's important to you, as the consumer?

1 comment:

Tasha said...

The companies are too big. They control too much of the politics, they've made waaaaay too much money, they have way too much influence.

Any small company trying to make changes has an incredibly hard time.

I'd be willing to look into alternate fuel sources. I'd have a hybrid if I could afford it.