Home

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Something I'd like to learn more about

One of the things I have on my list of things I want to learn to do before I die is quilting. There's nothing more homey than a nice, handmade quilt. I see it as a true heirloom to pass down, though I'm sure it's an outdated notion.

My maternal grandmother has a quilt in her attic that is half complete that was trekked across the country in a covered wagon. I have no idea how it ended up back on the east coast, but she's shown me the quilt. Ever since I saw it, I was fascinated by it.

We saw a quilt that we both fell in love with at the Old Deerfield Craft Fair back in 2007 or so. I don't think there's one item I've ever thought back to and said "you should have bought it" more than I do this one quilt. It was a square, dark rainbow gradient from one corner to another. I'm not sure it would have fit on a bed, but my goodness, was it beautiful. Ever since then, I've both searched for the vendor and looked for quilts like the one we saw that day. I've had no success.

I want to do something nice for Chris, and this is one of those things that I think I can do. I'd like to be able to re-create that quilt we saw, but first, I think I need to learn and experiment in the world of quilting. It can't be that hard, can it?


1 comment:

Laura Crowell said...

I wish she had a site (that I could FIND!), but Judith Tinkl is a Canadian artist who does mind boggling quilt work. I've seen her work a couple of times and it's just so crazy. If you ever end up in Ontario, please please please try and make time to go to the "Tinkl Farm". Her husband is a sculpter and their entire property is their art gallery. It's just insane. I think you'd love it.