Home

Thursday, July 29, 2010

'Til Death Do We Part...?

What's a self-described "progressive" blog without a little politics? Hate to do this to you folks, but I can't resist.

Maggie Gallagher, Chairman of the National Organization for Marriage (NOM), has this to say about "activists" who support gay marriage:

"Gay activists treat Americans who disagree with them about same-sex marriage like bigots. They want to use the law to suppress and marginalize and stigmatize. It’s just shameful and wrong for these activists to try and portray good Americans in that way. That’s why the hatred…the harassment…the attempts to bully have actually created a huge echo chamber of people flocking to the National Organization for Marriage."
Okay, that's funny and all, until a sign like this shows up at a NOM rally in Indianapolis where Gallagher spoke. A poster, quoting Leviticus 20:13, depicting two nooses.

Yea, I wonder why so many "activists" tend to show a little hostility towards the folks who show up at these rallies. Are you kidding me?

Nothing quite gets my goat like the opposition to gay marriage. If we were to rely on the Bible for all of our guidance, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't eat fat ever again, you can't clip the hair at the sides of your head or trim your beard, if you work on Sunday, you can be killed, you can totally marry your own sister, and even sell off your daughter to pay off a debt! If you're female, I'd just assume you're screwed in this new nation of God-fearing Christians. We get pretty much no rights at all, except to be a baby-making machine.

This isn't to say Christianity is bad necessarily, so please, don't read me wrong. I'm just angry about the picking and choosing we see so many extremists doing.

If two consenting adults love each other and want the benefits of marriage, let them have it. Your religion is yours, and no one is taking it away from you, you hateful, vile lunatics.

2 comments:

Kate! said...

I couldn't agree more. My Mister and I are always talking about this- what the hell is so wrong about two people who love each other and want to be together? OH. That's right- religion.

Thank you for this! Mwah! xoxo

ImplausibleYarn said...

Wow this is a great post! Very passionate! We have some very similar opinions. It bothers me about using the bible for their own narrow minded purposes. Thank you.